Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Phenotype Algorithm Development)
Description: A Postdoctoral Research Scientist position is immediately available in the Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) at Columbia University Medical Center. The Postdoctoral Research Scientist will work with Dr. Nicholas Tatonetti on phenotype algorithm development for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD).
Leading the development and validation efforts of an algorithm which identifies patients with NAFLD using information extracted from structured (diagnoses, lab measurements, medication usage, etc.) and unstructured (clinical notes from imaging and histology reports) data elements in electronic health records (EHRs) from Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC)/NY Presbyterian.
The successful candidate will be required to regularly (weekly and monthly meetings) present progress on the algorithm to internal and external collaborators.
The candidate must be comfortable working closely with clinical experts, external industry-level collaborators, collaborators from various academic institutions, and other staff involved in the project.
The position also involves administrative components (scheduling and regularly attending meeting, transcribing meeting notes).
- PhD (completed or near completion) in biomedical informatics, molecular biology, human genetics, computational biology, or a related field
- Established track record of publishing in peer-reviewed research journals
- Experience with computational, statistical and/or mathematical models
- Medical knowledge, particularly in liver disease, is a plus
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills with fluency in spoken and written English
- Database SQL experience
- Experience with Python
- Expertise in NLP approaches are a plus
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter, statement describing their research interests to the following website: Columbia University Recruitment of Academic Personnel System (RAPS). Quick link http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/3121. Requisition number – 0000658.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.